Thursday, July 23, 2020

Two, again

Both now fretted and awaiting the necks to be carved.

Wednesday, July 08, 2020


Monday, July 06, 2020


And here we are, purflings and bindings on the archtop mandolin complete!

Labels: ,

Saturday, July 04, 2020

Eliminate Downtime!

You have to have at least two instruments on the go, to eliminate any downtime whilst waiting for glue to dry. Particularly important when, as now I’ve been working on the bindings and purflings on the archtop. Each piece is glued on individually and left, in most cases, overnight to dry, so you need another project to work on.
Around the top I’ve used rope purfling and I’ve made up some bindings with the Macassar ebony (that I’m using elsewhere) and some fine sycamore veneer.
 So, during the many hours of “in between time” I’ve had the opportunity to make good progress on the e-mando. The pearl logo inlay and head overlay had been made and glued to the neck blank, the head cut-out and tuner holes drilled. 
Also, the body has been contoured and had a jolly good sanding and is looking quite lovely!