Monday, November 26, 2018

Commissioning an instrument

Over the past years the vast majority of the instruments that I have built have been commissioned by individual clients. Throughout the course of each build, it has been a real pleasure to get to know so many kindred spirits (many of whom end up being firm friends), hear their thoughts, listen to their feedback and grow from that.
However, I’ve decided that for the foreseeable future I’m going to limit my commissions to one or two per year. The experience of building the last two archtops has told me one thing; I want to build more of them! And I like the idea of building them speculatively; I can tweak the design, try different tonewoods, change the specification etc. without the creative restraints that a commission may impose. That way its design and my making can continue to evolve.
Also, I have a list of instruments, in my head, that I wish/need to build and I ask myself, “If not now, when?”
So, check this blog from time to time, you'll see what's on the bench and also my website’s FOR SALE page, as there may well be some interesting instruments available. And of course still feel free to contact me with your commission ideas; you never know I might be tempted!
Cheers Gary

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home