Tuesday, October 08, 2013

Nadim's Hare and Adrian's pair!

I recently completed Nadim’s guitar and yesterday he drove down from Yorkshire to collect it. It’s always a treat to meet the player, with whom, over many months, you have built-up a rapport. I meet, in person, surprisingly few of my clients and often have to entrust delivery of our precious instrument to a courier company and although, touch wood, there has never been a problem, personal collection has got to be better all-round. Anyway below is Nadim’s first encounter with his new Hare signature model.
And here’s a little video......
................if you want hear what these guitars sound like, check out Phil's videos on YouTube.

The hardwood bindings have gone on to Adrian’s instruments; the bindings always define the shape of the instrument. What I do like (if I say so myself) is this fine black line which defines the joint between the maple bindings and the spruce soundboard. This line is only 0.12mm thick so it’s quite surprising how well it shows up. I think that I’ll coin a new luthiery term: micro-purfling!
And a few more choice photos for you............

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Wood With Strings said...

Gary, I watched your latest video and was interested to hear that you use Tru-Oil on the neck. A couple of quick questions, if I may:
- Do you pore-fill the neck before applying the oil?
- Do you french polish the headstock face?
Cheers, Pete

5:11 am  
Blogger Gary Nava, Luthier said...

Hi Peter,
Hope all is well with you. I do like the work that you’ve got on the blog; the guitars are looking really good.
With Tru-oil, I don’t grain fill; one reason to use Tru-oil is keep a natural look/feel and this means open pores. Also the finish doesn’t cracks under the pressure of a capo, which Phil Hare uses a lot.
The face of the head is French polished- fortunately the Tru-oil and French polish don’t seem to interact.
Keep up the good work.
Cheers Gary

3:16 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home