Friday, July 28, 2017

Archtop mando update

I’ve just complete the back plate for my archtop mandolin project. If you follow the blog, you’d have seen the project bubble to the surface on occasions. Don’t worry it’s not a commission- there’s not some poor client somewhere waiting years and years for his instrument!
However, I have been thinking about the design for literally years, and now that  I’ve covered all the elements in my head and on paper, it’s high time to make some real progress.
Here are a few photos of the back plate carved, scraped and sanded and the rim. 
You’ll notice that I’m using mahogany for the back and sides, this wood is being re-used; it was originally a desk top. It’s extremely good quality wood and would be criminal not to give it a new life.
Here’s a little video that Amanda and I put together for your entertainment!

Labels: , , ,


Blogger CharlieCeng said...

Looking forward to Part 2!

11:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home