Wednesday, March 03, 2021

A Squadron of Planes?

Before I start the next in my series of archtop mandolins, I thought that I’d make a couple more planes. I’ve made the soles of these two to be more suitable for shaping the outside of the top and back plates. Although they are both curved, they are only shaped in one direction. One for general shaping and the other specifically for the re-curve.

The thing with making these planes is not to be too precious. It would be very easy to spend a long time sanding the wood and polishing the brass etc. but the main concern is their function and if, when in use, they don’t work as intended, I can feel that I can readily reshape them.
So, here they all are, sharp and ready to go. Ever wondered what the collective noun for group of planes is?


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home