Saturday, November 01, 2014

As previously mentioned……….

In the last post, I said of Ewart’s mandolin, “I make two fine cuts at the end of the mandolin. Later on, the wood between these two cuts will be chiselled out and this is where the end graft will go and eventually join up with the purflings and bindings.”
I thought that I’d illustrate the above with a few photos for you…..


Also in the previous post, I mentioned Paul’s e-mando; one of the exciting things about this project is that this e-mando is going off 10,400 miles to NSW, Australia! So, here’s a bit more detail about its construction so far.
I always like to route the wiring through inside of the body of my electric instruments; this means I have to make the body from at least two pieces of wood which allows me to create internal channels.


Before the two halves are glued together the internal channels are painted with conductive paint to help with shielding.
Once the body has been joined and taken down to its final thickness, the neck pocket, pick-up and control recesses etc are routed and then the shape cut-out. 



The wide black line that you can see in the pick-up recess is the conductive painted, internal channel.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home