Monday, August 10, 2009

Doing some work!

Well, I’ve finally managed to get on with some work! The new workshop is a long way from being fully set up, but I thought that I’d make at least one guitar before I make the final decision as to where everything will go: what initially appears to be the correct layout may not be once you actually start working.

Anyway, Jill’s mandolin is now completed and has been sent off to her. Jill has been a very enthusiastic client and I know that she has enjoyed the various updates on the blog: a real pleasure to work for!

I’m very pleased with result and when I finally get broadband I’ll put up another video on YouTube. You can see the finished results below. I’m pleased that my tonewood supplier managed to cut the neck, back and sides from the some piece of quilted maple, it may have cost me dearly but it’s great the way all the maple matches exactly!

Regular followers of my blog know that one of pet hates is ugly heel joints: well this one’s a beauty!

I’ve also started work on a rosewood classical, “El Corazon” for Christopher. You can see the head shape below. Over the past few years I’ve tried to rationalise the number of shapes that I offer both for the body and the head. (In fact I threw my dreadnought mould away when we moved!!) But, Christopher suggested this head shape and very nice to it has turned out too! The tuners are handmade by Keith Robson, beautiful work; I’d like to use them all the time but due to the price, only offer them as an option.


Anyway back home now, still having to use an internet cafe. I can’t believe how much time I’ve wasted trying to get a telephone line and broadband: I reckon literally 12 hours. Broadband is promised for later this week....we’ll see!!

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Peter Brown said...

Hi Gary. I discovered your blog a couple of weeks ago and just thought I'd leave a note to let you know how much I'm enjoying it. I look forward to following your achievements.

4:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home