Friday, April 19, 2013

Standard Mandolin V

The next Standard mandolin (number 5) is well underway. This one has American Black Walnut back and sides and a Black Walnut neck with maple laminations. In order to keep the walnut and maple theme going I wanted to use maple bindings.
I always bend bindings to fit each rebate individually.
I don’t normally use purfling on my Standard range but as the maple binding wouldn’t look right next to the light spruce soundboard, I thought that I would include one very thin black line to offer some contrast. And I’m very pleased with the way it turned out.
The walnut is perfectly quarter-sawn and I’ve included a little of the sapwood to spice things up! Can’t wait to get some finish on it!
 Here's the head, with a burr walnut overlay-
This mandolin should be completed in about a months’ time and will be up for sale at the price of 770 GBP (including a Hiscox case) mainland UK shipping is an extra 30 GBP. Send me an email if you’re interested in claiming it! Bye-the-way, at the time of writing the e-mando is still available.
There are two threads on the Mandolin Café forum that you might be interested in; click on the links below.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home