Wednesday, September 20, 2017

It’s all about planning

I’m fitting a Headway transducer to Brendan’s new mandolin and this changes the order of the way that I put things together. I have to start work on the tailpiece much sooner than I usually do.
Then the soundboard is fitted and glued to the rim (normally I glue the back first) and the area around the end graft is cleaned up.
 
Then the brass base of the tailpiece is fitted to the rim, I only use two screws as the jacket socket is essentially a 12 mm bolt holding the tailpiece in place.
With everything very, very secure the 12mm hole is drilled through the tail block, using the tailpiece as guide.
Also at this stage (i.e. before the back goes on) the jack socket can be test fitted and the backing nut adjusted to the correct position.
Once I take the socket out of the hole, I glue the nut in position with some CA- this greatly helps when fitting the pick-up finally in place, as you have to work blind through the relatively small sound hole.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home