Tuesday, December 05, 2017

What’s been happening?

I haven’t posted properly for a couple of weeks, so here’s a bit of an update of what’s going on in the 'shop. As you can see the archtop mandolin has had the neck fixed/glued on and more about that in the next video.
But for now it’s on the back burner whilst I’m French polishing Brendan’s mandolin. The Macassar ebony is looking so pretty!
 And whilst I make a start on Carl’s English walnut mandola.
 Also I thought that I might make a “True channel” style binding router jig. You can see that I’ve bought myself a Katsu laminate trimmer- these seem to be faithful copies of the Makita machine at a fraction of the price. I’ve mounted the router on what I’m calling its carriage. Some high quality ball-bearing drawer runners are used to allow the router to rise and fall. ………………….
 
Just figuring out the next step!

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful instruments! I'm going to enjoy this blog. :)

8:35 pm  
Blogger Gary Nava, Luthier said...

Thanks Don- glad you're enjoying the blog.
Cheers Gary

10:59 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home