Tuesday, January 24, 2012

New Tricks

If you goggle “bending curly koa” you’ll find quite a number of horror stories about sides snapping on the curls. Great! The koa for John’s guitar is the most expensive back and side set that I’ve bought and it’s prone to snapping when you bend it! The general advice is to have the sides a little thinner than normal and bend them dry, just moisten with a spray.

Now, I have always soaked my sides, so I thought that I’d have a practice of dry bending. This is where the baritone uke comes in- If I’m going to bend a set of sides, I just as well have something to show for it. So, I bent a set of maple sides for the uke dry and was remarkably surprised at how easy they bent. One thing leads to another and I find myself building a uke!

Here are the sides, end blocks in and linings being glued in place.

I’m using a marquetry strip down the centre of the back.

And a cocobolo rosette (no prizes for guessing where the wood came from).

Oh, the koa- 2mm thick, bent dry, a few sprays of water for a bit of moisture- no problems!


So you can teach an old dog new tricks!

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Randy Peterman said...

You may have written about this before, but I'm a new reader, what do you use fir a bending iron? (I'm just getting started in my learning)

5:29 pm  
Blogger Gary Nava, Luthier said...

You can see my bending iron in the photo of the Koa sides- you can get one from StewMac or Touchstone Tonewoods (UK.
You might find my video helpful
http://youtu.be/JLzSgo3v8H8
Cheers Gary

4:47 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home