Friday, May 19, 2017

On the bench

It occurred to me that I currently have 4 completely different mandolins on the go; so I thought that you might be interested in a round-up
We’ve got the e-mando; I’ve finished applying the Tru-Oil so I’m just waiting for it to fully harden before it’s reassembled and offered for sale.
 Then we’ve got Andrew’s cocobolo and red spruce twin-point. The neck was shaped earlier in the week; these days my Japanese Shinto rasp is a firm favourite for the initial shaping.
You might remember my tiny Veritas plane? It’s been useful in ways that I hadn’t imagined; here, ideal for cleaning up the juncture between neck and body.
 Fast forward a couple of days and here’s the twin-point, all cleaned-up and awaiting its hardware.
 
Also progressing nicely is David’s Standard mandolin, some fine Brazilian mahogany and a herringbone upgrade. Maple bindings next week.
 And lastly the carved-top project. Some progress has been made! I’ve used a wonderful piece of Brazilian rosewood for the head overlay and you can see that I’ve done some very rough shaping of the back with my Wagner Safe-T planer.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger mizukikahochi said...

Hey Gary! Your works are so awesome! Hoping to have one someday! :)

Classes A to Z
Acoustic Guitar Lessons in Sandhurst
Guitar Lessons in Sandhurst

2:15 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home