Saturday, June 02, 2018

Walnut Archtop: back plate

I’ve been working on the back plate for the next archtop mandolin. My objective with this build is not change the mandolin’s design (as I’m very happy with it) but to refine my building technique.
The first thing that I’ve done is to make this simple jig which allows me to hold the plates whilst I’m carving them.
The first modification to the jig, was to add this external template. It has a couple of dowels for accurate location and allows me to keep refreshing the outline as I work.
As you can see below, it works!

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Wood With Strings said...

Not that I've used it, but this looks like a clever solution to the problem of immobilising top and back plates for carving: http://millermandolins.com/Construction/Con2.htm

2:54 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home