Friday, June 19, 2020

Pure Electric

I’m just starting a new e-mando build for Allan. I’m looking forward to this one, as there is going to be something very pure about its design. Uncomplicated electrics- one pick-up. Just two types of wood- the neck and body from the same piece of sycamore and the head overlay, fretboard and bridge from some cocobolo.
So first thing’s first- planning the first cut……..
As you can see here’s the pieces for the body, awaiting joining.
On all of my electric instruments, I always like to run the wires through the body- its looks much cleaner than having a pick guard to hide the wiring runs. So again, a bit of careful planning so that you don’t snooker yourself later on.
I like to paint any channels for the wiring with, a special conductive shielding paint; whether it makes a difference, I’m not sure, but I like to think that I’ve done everything possible to keep the instrument quiet and hum-free.
And then the body can be glued together!
After the body’s been cleaned-up and cut-out, the various cavities are routed.
No mater how much planning it’s still a relief to break through into the internal wire channels.
And in parallel, here’s the neck blank being laminated with a central piece of cocobolo, the spliced head joint etc.
And as always two strips of carbon fibre to ensure stability.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home