Saturday, February 08, 2014

At last!

This week, I finally completed all the purflings and bindings on Ian’s guitar; and literally all-day yesterday was spent carefully cleaning up the body ready to cut the dovetail for the neck. It may appear to have taken a long time, but when you use cloth tape to hold the bindings in place, you can only glue one piece on at a time as the tape has to pull the binding down and in to the rebate, also I like to give ebony bindings a full 24 hours for the glue to dry. Here is the final result………….
Now whilst waiting for the glue, I haven’t been idle; the next two mandolins (for Alan and David) are now underway.
 
One of the pearl Ns being cut by hand.
PS Now up to 75 blog followers! Thanks for all your interest in my work.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger The Two Terriers said...

Hi Gary,

I love the colour on that beautiful guitar. What is it? Lapis, Turquoise, Mother of Pearl or Opal? That is a masterpiece. Lost in admiration, I can't even make a box! All the best, John

9:53 am  
Blogger Gary Nava, Luthier said...

Hi John,
The material is abalone shell: thanks for the positive comments!
Cheers Gary

3:58 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home