Wednesday, March 13, 2019

Baritone Ukulele Completed

As I’ve been applying Tru-Oil ( one coat a day) to Dave’s e-mando, I thought it a good time to finally complete the baritone uke that I started about 6 years ago! As I’ve said before, my baritone ukes are just not economically viable to build any more. It’s very much built as a small classical guitar; fan-braced, dovetail neck joint, double hole bridge etc. and takes almost as much time to build as a guitar. So, as this instrument isn’t a commission, I’ll probably hang on to it for a while unless someone makes me an offer I can’t refuse!
The soundboard is Engelmann spruce with a cocobolo rosette, fretboard and head overlay. I’ve used the sapwood for decorative effect.
The bridge is ebony with a bone saddle (bone nut too) and has a classical guitar style double hole tie-block.
The tuners are Gotoh guitar tuners and I’ve replaced the chrome buttons with ebony ones, which saves an appreciable amount of weight.
The body is fully bound and the whole instrument finished in light satin shellac and wax finish. I’ve used a clear pick-guard to offer some protection.
The back and sides are made from some figured sycamore and the neck, Spanish cedar. There is also a carbon fibre reinforcement strip in the neck.
The back is inlaid with a decorative marquetry stripe.
The uke is incredibly light and reminds me somewhat of an early romantic guitar. Job done (and very pleasing it feels too!)

Labels: , ,


Post a Comment

<< Home